Thursday, September 20, 2012

Singapore 2012































Singapore has undergone a face lift since I last saw her. I barely recognized the previous buildings along Orchard road as new malls have risen. We didn't go around much but the few occasions we did were pleasant. Going around was still a breeze as directions and public transport are abundant. Cost of living and price of travel for a meager Filipino is still pretty expensive though.

The wife shopped in H&M to her heart's content while I babysat. I noticed some of the malls are not baby/boyfriend/husband friendly at all as I was looking for places to sit while waiting. No diaper changing areas either.

It was F1 season as stalls of different sponsors abound along Orchard. Too bad I didn't get to see some of the more prominent F1 brands as we have baby in tow.

We got to see in the next few days the new Gardens by the Bay but didn't get the chance to peek inside the conservatories. The Supertree groves reminded me of Pandora or some other planet you see in movies. We made the mistake of passing by mid noon as the weather was oppressively hot and humid. We weren't prepared by the type of clothing we had on. It would have been more pleasant had we worn shorts and shirts instead of Sunday clothes.

We had the chance to taste some moon cakes as we came in during the moon cake festival. I got to try the fancy snow skin moon cakes which were different from what I'm usually accustomed to trying in Manila.  Sister also treated us on the last day to a fine Swiss resto named Marche and had chocolate drizzled strawberry crepes which Matteo loved. After many visits to Singapore, I lamented that I have yet to try the famous Singaporean Chili crab which many locals brag about. I was in for a treat as she led us to the best Chili crab in town - No Signboard Restaurant. And yes, that Chili crab was to die for! I didn't get a chance to photograph the food though but it was indulgent with steamed buns! (google images for "no sign board chili crab") Matteo was too young for crabs so he had Yang Chow fried rice for his own. Our little foodie loved his fried rice as he kept asking for more.

I would have wanted to go around more but this was not the purpose of the trip. We set this time to celebrate with our sister their most special day - The first year birthday of their baby Izzy! The most memorable part of this trip is not the shopping nor the eating, it was the time we were able to catch up with family after not seeing them for more than a year. It was a wonderful experience even for Matteo who finally got to see his Uncle Eric and Aunt Tin and his only first cousin, Izzy. And through it all, I'll never tire of saying Thank God for Family!

Coming Up: The Family Pictures :)





No comments:

Post a Comment