Friday, May 9, 2008

Awake in Atlanta: Symptoms of Missing Home







It has been 3 weeks since I transferred, although temporarily, to the US. It’s difficult but I’m surviving. I’m learning stuff I took for granted when I was home.

I’m used to having food on the table coming from work. Now I'm learning to cook! Ive successfully prepared sinigang na hipon and gambas. I know how to make a good omelet. I have sucessfully dodged the searing and painful projectiles of hot oil while frying chicken. Everything turned out well except for the tripped smoke alarm!

Back home, my clothes become magically clean every weekend – thanks to our labandera. Now, I do my laundry and iron my clothes. A hurdle I have yet to do though - cleaning the toilet!

I miss home. I miss my family. I miss our morning chit chat while having breakfast. It’s customary that we spend quality time talking about everyday stuff - work, love life, career, aspirations etc. I miss mom’s cooking. I miss her adobong chicken, menudo, picadillo, nilaga, sinigang, halabos etc etc… I miss waking up to breakfast already served. I miss my friends. I miss my church. I miss my church friends. I miss late nights hanging out with them at the coffee shop. And of course, I miss Cleng, my best friend and girlfriend. I miss our dinner outs. I miss our “asaran”. I miss our serious talks. I miss our fun times. I miss her tantrums and her frown.





But It’s not that bad as it may seem. I’m grateful that I have colleagues who were sent here with me as well. The company I work for paid for all our needs – rent, food, transportation, cable and internet. I’m grateful for the Internet, where I can keep in touch with people back home. In fact, I believe I’m much more updated with what’s happening in ICS than the majority – thanks to Multiply! I thank God for chikka, skype, yahoo messenger – family and friends are just a buzz! away… literally. I can listen to Pastor Kuya Jerry’s preachings in ICS via ics.org.ph. It’s like I’m there! I pray that I can eventually find a good church and be able to meet new friends as well.

The Bible says everything has its season. Now is the time to venture beyond my comfort zone. This is the time for growth. For out of trials and difficulties come forth wisdom and experience. I believe God sent me here for this very reason. For me to grow, I must die to myself. Die to my own comforts. This is my cocoon. From the cocoon will come out a better individual. This is an opportunity to reach out beyond my own capability and rely more on Him.
It’s now day 20, I have less than 150 days before I return. I can’t wait to be home. But until then, I have to fulfill my purpose for being here. By God’s grace I can.









take it away yang!  ;)


43 comments:

  1. wehehehe ayos men!!! para kang nasa kulungan ha at may pacounting ka pa hehehe ... eh kami .. di mo kami namiss????

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! syempre! friends kaya tawag ko dun, unless di nyo ako turing na friend??

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like time well spent already! ;)

    God is with you, bro!

    SHALOM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh kasi church friends lang nilagay mo eh sa mga namimiss mo hahahahaha .. kaya ewan ko lang kung anong turing mo sa min hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. again... thanks pastor! :)

    i forgot to mention though... i miss starbucks! mejo mahal dito eh! haha. tipid mode konti kse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ano tong take it away yang! ;) --> sa pagiwan ng comments? ahaha...salamat! :D wemishu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! ayon sa paragraph 4 sentence 8, sabi ko dun... "I miss my friends."
    separate pa yung I miss my church friends! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. kakadagdag mo lang eh!!! wala yan kanina eh hahahahahahaha!!! ikaw talaga christian!!!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! miss nyo lang ako! wala kayong maasar! sabagay, nag coconference kme nila ebs, alan at dex. asaran blues pa rin abot ko :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. : ) ...ano pala niluluto mo dyan sa pix mo ? btw, bagay ang hair style

    ReplyDelete
  11. ayos lang yan xtn.. at least pagbalik mo marunong ka ng maluto, maglaba, magplantsa.. tigasin ka na!! hahaha patikim kami ng luto mo pg magaling galing kna..

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe! gambas! success!

    ok ba hairstyle? or the lack of it? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. oo ngaaaaaa wala na kaming maasar dito hahahahahaha ... lika na .. balik ka na dito ... punta kami pan pacific bukas para nood ng fireworks!!! wehehehe ... inggitin ba ang xtn nyahahahaha ... ang dami ng pangyayare dito na di ka kasama nyahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha ha....yan ang dahilan kung bakit atat na ko umuwi noon

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehehe! sure!

    basta tandaan mong tama sila na --- HIWALAY kung hiwalay! hiwalay lagi ang puti sa decolor!!! kung ayaw mong mag pink ang white shirt or ayaw mong magkulay maong ang twalya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha! uwi nyo nako sa pinaaas! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hekhek...ngayon ko lang napansen...."Awake In Atlanta"


    ...parang "Sleepless in Seattle" =P

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's really sad to be away from home and from the people you love. but the whole experience is worth it, di ba? mabilis lang ang araw. 150 days is not that long if you learn and experience something new everyday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yo yo yo! Pasalubong ko lens ha! :D

    [21]

    ReplyDelete
  20. i can relate bro..but hang in there, God sends wonderful people our way so we can spend wonderful times with them too.

    new friends, new environment, new places...they all equal new challenges and new opportunities.

    blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. tama yan! naku..pero minsan kahit decolor eh nahahawahan pa rin..iba pang ang light color sa dark color ha...tandaan ..kasi meron ako bagong light pink na damit..sinama sa bagong dark blue na damit..o gudlak kung ano nangyari....hindi ako ang naglaba..ang maid..pfft..

    ReplyDelete
  22. basta wag la'ang new girlfriend! =P


    tama ba 'ko, doc? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aba!!! Wala si Reah Bunsoy-Padla!!! WATSAPPORDAT???

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ayown!!! Nagpakita ka den, nga ha ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. such courage, christian. am blessed. i remember a story about caterpillar Yellow. Yellow came upon a gray-haired caterpillar who told her about becoming a butterfly. "But how do you become one?" she asked. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar," he said. "You mean to die?" asked Yellow. "Yes and no," he answered. "What looks like you will die but what's really you will still live."

    ReplyDelete
  26. i was the first person to tell you na kaya mo yan and it's good you've experienced living away from home and away from loved ones, i myself was in the same position and i had no one to turn to literally, wala akong kasama noon...so don't fret and enjoy the moment, keep yourself busy and see more sites...and yes after a while you'll thank your colleagues there for always being there for you. the closest friends now are my onshore friends. remember, time will fly and you'll get by **wink, wink** pasalubong ko ha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. uh xtn, next time pagnagpa-picture ka dapat STOMACH IN ha !!! peace :)) enjoy your stay there and learn a lot -- its a good experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  28. this, in turn, reminds me of... sino na nga yung pinsan mo Cris? =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dapat new alias ka na.... "Domisticated Xtian" :)

    Anyways, it's a good experience. Tama ka dun sa " Now is the time to venture beyond my comfort zone." It's hard but fulfilling. Take it one day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haneps isa ka nang Amboy! gusto ko rin makita si unlce sam, hopefully for studies, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  31. hmmm...parang may isang nakalimutan imention dito...bakit kaya?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oo, dapat hindi na "STOKED!!" yung word dun sa taas ng site mo. Dapat, "DOMESTICATED!!!" na..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Growth only comes when we leave our comfort zones. How does one experience anything if they never leave that comfort zone? I've traveled all over the world...and I can say this...home can be anyplace! It's whether you want to make it home. My roots are in Phoenix...but my home is where my husband and children are. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. GBU

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow. Didn't know you're there pala. Hey, si Arnold yung katabi mo sa last pic a! Buti madami kayo, otherwise mas nakakalungkot pa. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  35. naku baka sa susunod "JADED" na, kasi nagkakaron na ng blog pages, :D
    wag naman, ma-miss namin ang pictures!

    what's next after Georgia Aquarium? :)

    ReplyDelete