Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Awake in Atlanta: Home Again

It's day 32 and a lot has happened since I first arrived here in Georgia. Aside from missing people whom I love and friends, I miss the feeling of home.

What is home? according to wikipedia:

A home is a place of residence or refuge. It is usually a place where an individual or a family can rest in and be able to store personal property. Modern households contain sanitary facilities and a means of preparing food.

While a house (or other residential dwelling) is often referred to as a "home", the concept of "home" is a much broader idea which exceeds the denotation of a physical dwelling. A home is often a place of refuge and safety, where worldly cares fade and the things and people that one loves becomes the focus. Many people think of home in terms of where they grew up, and home can even be a time rather than a place.The word "home" is also used for various residential institutions which aspire to create a home-like atmosphere, such as a retirement home, a nursing home, a group home (an orphanage for children, a retirement home for adults, a treatment facility, etc.), a foster home, etc.


Being in a strange place among strangers with strange food and culture, home may be the last thing you can find. We're staying in our fully furnished apartments but the feeling of home is absent. That may explain why most of us yearn to go back home - yes, we're homesick.

May 11, 2008 was the set date to go to church. I've discovered there is a church near our place similar to where I used to attend back home - Calvary Assembly of God. I was a bit apprehensive as I'm not used to driving alone to some unfamiliar place. After putting it aside more than once, I finally attended church.

I was a bit nervous. I don't know anyone. I'm all alone. I'm afraid people wouldn't be as friendly as I hope them to be. But I believed God wants me to be here. In faith, I believed He will meet me there. I had to make my first step.

I was nervous as I navigated and drove my way to church. It was a good 7 miles and had to drive along a major highway. I was nervous when I was about to enter the place of worship. I had fears that I'm not supposed to be there, that I didnt belong there. As I got in, I was met by a few people who greeted me. I really appreciate what the greeters and ushers were doing. They're doing an excellent job in making people like me feel less "strange". I realized that a simple hello is one vital church ministry that may make a difference for first time church attendees and regular attendees as well.

The praise and worship music started. The worship was beautiful. I feel home again.



































PS:

As of this writing, I have attended their service twice, and heard some incredible preaching about Pentecost Sunday and brought my 2 colleagues along with me! They're planning to join me again next Sunday! God is good  :) 

16 comments:

  1. Wow thats good to hear. Imagine mo nlng na si Ptr Rodel ung naglelead, tpos kami ung tumutogtog tpos si ptr JB ung nagppreach.

    Then ur home agen :D Gbu!

    [21]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear bro! Praise God! Feel free to call me (551)655-8584 if u need to talk or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. home is where the heart is... because your heart is at home with God...you won't have a hard time adjusting...yun na yun eh :D praise God for your new family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you found a church there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In difficult times, it's comforting to know that there's a peaceful place to go to. Glad to know you found a church there. Ingat kayo palagi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sigh..... i know exactly what you mean:
    http://jeckjr.multiply.com/video/item/25/Ptr._Jesse_at_HWCIM

    'ey bro, hang in there! glad you found your "home away from home"...for now. ;)

    prayin' for ya; waiting for your article... =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice... Feeling ko lang, iiyak ka din pag pabalik ka na dito... he he he. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way too Christian....the first time i went to America vacationing for 3 months...i went and look for a nearby church...i found one and i was shocked because i only saw old people around and few young couples....but when i went to San Francisco i felt better because my cousin is married to a pastor of Faith Bible Church....naging masaya dahil they are all very nice...iba rin kasi yung nasa pinoy church ka...i will find you a pinoy church there....i think i had some friends who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  9. going out from the place where we came into a place we have never been can be unsettling, indeed... our journey is never linear... such courage to stay focused, christian! notice how far you have gone now :p God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're happy to know that you finally found a "home' church while you're in the States. We tried calling you sev eral times but no answer. We'll try to call you again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete